Invitation to Apply for the 2016 SOGIE Scholarship Award
Response Deadline Extended to June 20, 2016 (5:00 pm Eastern Time)
The CSWE Council on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression (CSOGIE) established its Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE) Scholarship Award in 2012. Inspired by the Feminist Manuscript Award, the award recognizes scholarship that contributes to knowledge about sexual orientation and gender identity and expression; the individual and systemic issues associated with these topics; the development of social work curriculum materials and faculty growth opportunities relevant to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression; and the experiences of individuals who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and/or two-spirit.
All 2016 CSWE Annual Program Meeting (APM) accepted presenters are invited to submit relevant scholarly papers for consideration. CSOGIE particularly encourages submission of manuscripts that do the following:
- Further the development and availability of social work education curriculum materials related to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression
- Provide faculty development opportunities related to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression
- Identify and critically analyze policies, procedures, or activities that impede full and affirming participation in CSWE and social work education of students and faculty who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit
- Facilitate development of leadership in faculty who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit
- Advance knowledge of affirming, innovative, and effective social work practices and educational models related to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression
- Explore ethics and social justice for social work practice with gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or two-spirit individuals
- Address historical aspects of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression in the social work profession
- Promote strategies for understanding the intersections of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression with race, class, culture, disability, age, and other identities
- Explore international aspects of social welfare for persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and expression
To apply for the SOGIE Scholarship Award, submit the following items to Eugene Walls, SOGIE Scholarship Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm Eastern Time on Monday, June 20, 2016:
- A copy of your scholarly paper as a Word document with all identifying information removed
- A separate title page showing the name, credentials, affiliation, and e-mail addresses of all authors and identifying the corresponding author
Only scholarly papers based on presentations accepted for the 2016 CSWE APM that fit the purpose of this award will be considered. Papers authored by any recipient of the SOGIE Scholarship Award within the last 3 years will not be considered. At least two CSOGIE members will complete blind reviews of the papers, and winners will be notified by early July. Biographical information and photos of the winners will appear on the CSWE website and may be included in the APM final program, if space permits. At least one author of the paper must agree to attend the award presentation during the LGBT Caucus/CSOGIE Reception at the 2016 APM in Atlanta, GA.
For more information, visit www.cswe.org/SOGIE/FAQ.
Past Award Recipients