Now accepting applications for the 2017–2018 Program Director Academy through April, 19, 2017, 11:59 pm ET. Apply here!
The CSWE Program Director Academy is a leadership certificate program for current baccalaureate and master’s program directors who have been in their positions less than 3 years focused on topics related to program management competency domains and job functions.
New and recent program directors are typically transitioning from faculty to administrative roles, often without prior training or experience in management and leadership inside or outside of the social work academy. In this transition, they must acquire and build management skills to attain the competencies needed for this core leadership position.
Participant Requirements and Program Details
The program is for current baccalaureate and master’s program directors who have been in their positions less than 3 years. CSWE individual membership is required at the time of application.
The program requires a 1-year commitment (July 1, 2017–June 30, 2018) and includes participation in the following:
- A Summer Leadership Institute at CSWE in Alexandria, VA on July 21–22, 2017 (with a networking dinner reception on July 20).
- This face-to-face workshop with cohort participants is designed to build and strengthen administrative and leadership capacity with a focus on management competencies and leadership development for the director role.
- National leaders will speak on the following topics: strategic management, skills of supervision, communication, effective meetings, leadership self-assessment, and resource development as it relates to job function.
- A Leadership Development Institute held at the CSWE Annual Program Meeting (APM) on October 18, 2017, in Dallas, TX
- Cohort participants will also be invited to and introduced at several APM events including the National Association of Deans and Directors of Schools of Social Work Reception, the CSWE President’s Reception, and the Leadership Networking Reception.
- An online webinar series presented through the CSWE Learning Academy in spring 2018
- Optional mentorship opportunities with graduates from the Harvard Institutes of Higher Education and the Higher Education Resource Services scholarship programs.
Applicants must submit a completed application and corresponding materials through the online application system. Applicants must have an active CSWE individual membership by April 19, 2017, 11:59 pm ET to be considered. Required application materials include:
Applications will be reviewed by CSWE and CSWE Council on Leadership Development. A limited number of applicants will be accepted, and decisions will be issued by May 10, 2017.
Program Fees and Expenses
The fee for the 2017–2018 Program Director Academy is $1500, payable upon acceptance into the program. This fee covers expenses related to speakers, course materials, event space, and some meals. Participants are responsible for any additional fees related to travel to attend the in-person summer and APM meetings and APM registration. CSWE will provide travel information for these events.
If you have questions about the CSWE Program Director Academy, please send an e-mail to LeadershipInstitute@cswe.org.